cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 7k in existing domain

20vek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. is there any way to configure nexus 7k to join existing vtp domain? or it only can act as domain server or work in transparent mode?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The vtp domain command can be used to specific the vtp domain name. For the question of full VTP functionality, I think the best way for you to do is ask your Cisco sales team for the feature road map.

Regards,

jerry

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nexus 7000 can only be configured with VTP transparent mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_2/nx-os/layer2/command/reference/l2_commands.html#wp1060509

Please look at the Usage Guidelines of vtp mode.

HTH,

jerry

Thank you for the reply and the link. One question still remains... What is the purpose of the VTP Domain command? In IOS it is possible to create VLANs without having VTP domain name. Is it step back to CatOs or there is a plan to fully implement VTP on Nexus? It is not a curiosity. VTP plays a crucial role in our data centre environment.

The vtp domain command can be used to specific the vtp domain name. For the question of full VTP functionality, I think the best way for you to do is ask your Cisco sales team for the feature road map.

Regards,

jerry

Thanks again. I dont want to be annoying but I am trying to understand what Nexus can do in terms of VTP, routing and virtualization. I am in the middle of the crossroad here trying to figure out which way to go, proceed with Nexus accepting some risk of incompatibility with our existing infrastructure or continue working with 6500 series switches. Just want to clarify... Nexus at the moment supports only VTP transparent mode (no server or client). Correct?

Yes. Currently, it only supports VTP transparent mode.

Regards,

jerry

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: