Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7K VPC Hashing

prasad.gsmc
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have observed that after VPC the Nexus show port-channel summary will show only the local Interface of the box.

With this, each individual box has visibility to only locally connected interface. Cosider the attached diagram. According to this, the N7K will only forward out via local E1/1 and E1/2 to reach server on N5K. The VPC is not capable of combined throughput, but only ensures a loop free patch ?

effective throughput can only achieve by proper load feeding to both boxes (from uplinks)....

is this the correct understanding ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Taylor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct ... traffic in direction of n5k connected client requires proper load sharing to the n7k in order to maximize throughput.

From a single 7k, effective unidirectional throughput is simply limited to the locally connected interfaces.

So, assuming "uplink A" and B are routed, you would want to implement load sharing to the n7k from upstream in order to maximize throughput.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Taylor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct ... traffic in direction of n5k connected client requires proper load sharing to the n7k in order to maximize throughput.

From a single 7k, effective unidirectional throughput is simply limited to the locally connected interfaces.

So, assuming "uplink A" and B are routed, you would want to implement load sharing to the n7k from upstream in order to maximize throughput.

thanks...

I have re recorded my understanding  on VPC !

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card