Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus access

waqas gondal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering, is it best practice to connect a Catalyst access switch to a Nexus 2248 Fabric extention?

In this design the 3750X switches are connected to catalyst access switches for PCs. The Nexus switches would be connected to servers

I may run out of ports on the 3750X switches and the Nexus 2248s are cheaper than 3750X. The Nexus 2248 will have a lot of available ports since there are not very many servers.

Is there any reason not to connect the catalyst access switches to the 2248 FEX?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No you are  not supposed to hook access switches to a fex.  They would have to go directly to the 5000. I think by default the fexes have bpduguard enabled on all ports and you can't turn it off so if it sees any bpdu's coming from an access switch it will err-disable the ports. If i'm wrong maybe someone else can chime in .

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No you are  not supposed to hook access switches to a fex.  They would have to go directly to the 5000. I think by default the fexes have bpduguard enabled on all ports and you can't turn it off so if it sees any bpdu's coming from an access switch it will err-disable the ports. If i'm wrong maybe someone else can chime in .

Thanks Glen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card