Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus interconnect

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

We have two Nexus 5548. These are to be used as layer 3 in our network.

Currently only one of them is connected & has all vlans & configuration. When we integrate the second nexus 5548 & interconnect both these together, how will the vlan & other configurations be done.

Will we need to manually create all vlans on the second nexus or is there any auto method?

Appreciate all inputs.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I would probably create the VLANs myself manually, making the N5K's in vtp transparent mode, but wouldnt make sense if there were hundreds or thousands, however you could use vtp client / server relationship to copy over vlans. Extreme caution with this method as you may know what could potentially happen with vtp.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/421_n1_1/Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_421_n1_1_chapter4.html#task_290839420A914AF995A7A3848F52E171

I'd suggest creating a domain and password for VTP just for the nexus that could not possibly be used in your network.

I'd then make the current nexus the server

I'd make the new nexus the client - before connecting to the network

Then connect them together, trunking

Then a few moments you should have the vlan's replicated.

Personally after that I would make them back to transparent mode.

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I would probably create the VLANs myself manually, making the N5K's in vtp transparent mode, but wouldnt make sense if there were hundreds or thousands, however you could use vtp client / server relationship to copy over vlans. Extreme caution with this method as you may know what could potentially happen with vtp.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/421_n1_1/Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_421_n1_1_chapter4.html#task_290839420A914AF995A7A3848F52E171

I'd suggest creating a domain and password for VTP just for the nexus that could not possibly be used in your network.

I'd then make the current nexus the server

I'd make the new nexus the client - before connecting to the network

Then connect them together, trunking

Then a few moments you should have the vlan's replicated.

Personally after that I would make them back to transparent mode.

Hope this helps

Thanks Nawaz.

Is there any steps that can be used to interconnect the second nexus to current N5k to act as HA pair.

I don't know of any true HA resiliency built with the nexus 5K's or even 7K's for that matter. Nothing like VSS or Stackwise like the 6500's, 4500's, 3750's, 3850's etc...

If you wanted 'like a HA pair' have the configs the same, including - you could make use of vPC feature (virtual port channel) - this is, a port-channel, one physical link from N5K-01 and one from N5K-02 but to the Servers or Blade Chassis seems like one logical link [normal link aggregation] from two separate switches.

See here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

In terms of L3 redundancy you would use a FHRP for your hosts.

Hope this helps

mitra dray
Level 1
Level 1

I prefer configuring both nexuses
Ofcourse before you connect them make sure to force the new one to be a vpc secondary .
you should also consider what you gonna do with the peer keepalive and where are you going to pass it from . Dedicated link or SVI

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card