Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus vPC port-channel and STP root

Ruterford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am in the process of migration from old 6500 over to Nexus 7K switches and wondering if I can make a port-channel using vPC on a pair of nexus 7Ks and connected to a single access-layer catalyst with having one of the vlans allowed on that vPC port-channel not being root on the nexus pair?

I.e. the STP root for that particular vlan will be remaining on the old 6500, which has a non-vpc connection to the nexus pair. The rest of the vlans allowed on the trunk to access-layer catalyst are set as root on the nexus pair. Can't move only one for now, as it is being used on the old Cat 6500 across much more switches connected to it than, I have connected on the nexuses.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just make sure the priority is lower on the 6500 .  Do you have a vpc between your 6500 and the 7K's ?    We are in the same boat , we have 2 6500's connected to 2 7k's  and most of the routing is stil being done on the 6500's as we haven't had the time to migrate the routing to the 7k's because the customer never gives any downtime and quite frankly moving all that scares the heck out of me .  :-) 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card