Views
Helpful
Replies

NIC, ethernetII, data rate 100Mbs

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body.

Few months ago,  i remembered  doing packet capturing on my  100Mbs   ethernet card.  The capture  showed the ethernet  frame as type  II  which is  dix version 2.      But Dix version 2 or ethernetII  , supported 10Mbps.   Is it because Nic manufacture  used the Ethernet II  framing while  modifying the physical layer to support 100Mps?.  If NIC manufacture had implemented  only  ethenet II,  then Nic would not have supported 100Mbps. Is my understanding correct?

thanks

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi every body.

Few months ago,  i remembered  doing packet capturing on my  100Mbs  ethernet card.  The capture  showed the ethernet  frame as type  II which is  dix version 2.      But Dix version 2 or ethernetII  , supported 10Mbps.   Is it because Nic manufacture  used the Ethernet II  framing while  modifying the physical layer to support 100Mps?.  If NIC manufacture had implemented  only  ethenet II,  then Nic would not have supported 100Mbps. Is my understanding correct?

thanks

Hi,

Yes you are right "DIX" standard, for "Digital/Intel/Xerox"; it specified the 10 megabits/second Ethernet and DIX connecting NIC cards are 10Base5 NICs attach to a network by connecting a drop cable to its 15-pin AUI connector (DIX connector). The drop cable then attaches to a vampire tap transceiver, which taps a ThickNet cable.

But on NICs intended primarily for servers, you may encounter Ethernet variants like 100Base-FX (aka Fast Ethernet) and 1000Base-X (aka Gigabit Ethernet). 100Base-FX uses either single-mode or multi-mode fiber optic cable as its medium and, like 100Base-TX, it has a maximum bandwidth of 100 Mbps and Most new Ethernet NICs of the 10Base-T, 100Base-TX, 100Base-FX, and Gigabit varieties support full duplex operation.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Thanks  Ganesh.

what i dont understand if  packet captured on  nic, appears to be ethernet II( dix version2),and  nic  supports 10/100 Mbps,   Does it mean  NIc'manufacture  implemented  ethernet II  framing  and modified the physical layer  to support different data rates.?  I just want to confirm if my understaning is correct.  Besides,  i also found out  it is  the most prevalent ethernet framing.

thanks  and have a good day.

Thanks  Ganesh.

what i dont understand if  packet captured on  nic, appears to be ethernet II( dix version2),and  nic  supports 10/100 Mbps,   Does it mean NIc'manufacture  implemented  ethernet II  framing  and modified the physical layer  to support different data rates.?  I just want to confirm if my understaning is correct.  Besides,  i also found out  it is  the most prevalent ethernet framing.

thanks  and have a good day.

Hi Sara,

If you have recieved a frame with version 2 then the sending nic is in 10 Mbps with dix 2 version supported on the sending NIC and if you see the history  Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) released its first standard called IEEE 802.3 also known as Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD).

This standard was largely based on the pre-existing DIX standard, but did make some changes, especially to the definition of Ethernet frame format. In 1997, the IEEE defined a standard called 802.3x, which defined full-duplex Ethernet operation. Finally, in 1998, the IEEE released the 1 Gbps 802.3z 1000Base-X standard, commonly known as "Gigabit Ethernet".

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card