Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NIC teaming and switch

I have a dual nic and each is cabled to a different Cisco 2K. I have teamed the NICs on the Server and I cannot ping internally or externally. If I disable one of th enics (or shut the port) then I can ping anything fine. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NIC teaming follows the same "rules":  All links must go to the same LOGICAL switch.  

Let's say you have several 2960S/X/XR or 3750/G/E/X or 3650 or 3850 that are not stacked.  It won't work because each individual un-stacked switch is not a logical switch.  If you stack these switches together, however, they form a single logical switch and makes NIC Teaming or Etherchannel works better. 

Also note that all links must be of the same physical speed.

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I think a little more information would be useful:

• Cisco Nexus 2K or Catalyst 2K?
  • If Nexus 2K what is the upstream connectivity... Nexus 5K, Nexus 7K, single homed, dual homed?
  • If Catalyst 2K are they both in the same stack or two separate switches? If two separate switches, what's the connectivity between them?
  • What server operating system are you using, and which NIC teaming software and load balancing algorithm is it configured to use?

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card