Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NIC Teaming with HyperV

I have a Server 2012 R2 HyperV cluster with 3 servers and a Cisco 3560 Switch. I am trying to configure trunk between HyperV server and switch ports. Below is what I have.

interface Port-channel10
 description  VM Internet
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,10,22
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate

interface GigabitEthernet0/6
 description VM Internet
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 channel-group 10 mode active
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/7
 description  VM Internet
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 channel-group 10 mode active
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable

In HyperV NIC Teaming, I have Teaming Mode as LACP and Load Balancing as Dynamic.

The NIC Team seem to negotiate LACP with no issues. But I lose connectivity to the host. I don't have Internet on the host. Not sure what I am missing.

VLAN 22 - User/Data VLAN

VLAN 10 - DMZ

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

When configuring VLANs with Hyper-V please make sure you configure these in the vSwitch NOT at the NIC teaming. That is typical issue and Microsoft declares that as an unsupported configuration.

Best regards,

Antonin

Yes but that is not the issue. I am aware of that part. The issue is my host loses network connectivity, no internet. As soon as I change teaming mode to LACP.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can you please post the "show etherchannel 10 summary" command output.

Thanks & Regards,

Antonin

Please note that I changed ports to G0/4 & G0/29.

Flags:  D - down        P - in port-channel
        I - stand-alone s - suspended
        H - Hot-standby (LACP only)
        R - Layer3      S - Layer2
        U - in use      f - failed to allocate aggregator
        u - unsuitable for bundling
        w - waiting to be aggregated
        d - default port

Number of channel-groups in use: 1
Number of aggregators:           1

Group  Port-channel  Protocol    Ports
------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------
10     Po10(SU)        LACP      Gi0/4(P)    Gi0/29(P)

Hi,

Thanks for the response. From your posts I understnad that everything worked (including Vlans) just before you have started NIC teaming using LACP - can you please confirm.

Can you ping (from Cat3560) your team interface?

What is your Vlan ID at the host virtual switch?

To get more info as for the IP addressing for each Vlan would be helpful (my view is you are using private address space).

Thanks & Regards,

Antonin

I cannot ping my Team Interface and neither I can ping my gateway if I assign a static IP on my Team interface. I haven't even setup Hyper-V on this server yet. All I did was create a Team with LACP and Address hashing. I am using Intel NICs if that helps.

What does a "sh int trunk" show on the 3560.

Also when you say you can't ping how long are you waiting ?

Note that in your configuration you have enabled "spanning-tree portfast" but this has no effect on trunk links so you would have to wait for STP to sort itself out.

What happens if you apply "spanning-tree portfast trunk" on the interfaces ?

Jon

Hi,

Thanks for the update. For NIC teaming with Win 2012 R2 server (without Hyper-V configured) the task should be pretty straighforward. My wiev is that LACP etherchannel has been set up. Can you please confirm via "Adapters and Interfaces" tab of the Server Manager at the Windows server side. While you have configured this as trunk I guess you have created only 1 team interface (primary) at the server side. Which Vlan is this team interface address assigned from? 

Best regards,

Antonin

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure you match the port channel load balancing to be the same at both ends. I believe the default is MAC based, so you might want to change that into, 

sw1(config)#port-channel load-balance src-dst-ip    which matches IP Hash on the HyperV end.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

I ended up fixing it by putting 

switchport trunk native vlan 22

Thanks everyone for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: