Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NME-16ES-1G-P on non-poe router

I have a 2821 that doesn't have the POE power supply. I would like to purchase a NME-16ES-1G-P because I want the switching capability. Will the module work in my router and just not give POE, or will the lack of a POE power supply disable the module entirely?

I could always just get a NME-16ES-1G, but the price difference I'm finding is small enough I would like to go ahead and get the POE one.

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Normally if you get a 2821 with a PoE bundle, it comes with a larger power supply which is beneficial to power up the PoE daughter card.  

In your particular case, you'll need to get the larger power supply.

I know I'll have to get the "IP" power supply to use the POE feature of the module. What I want to do is install the module now and be able to use it as a standard switch, then get the IP power supply later and start using the POE then. I need to know if my plan will work before I start dropping the cash.

I have never tried that kind of scenario before so I can't comment.  I don't even want to speculate.

I have a Cisco 2851 that runs c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M10.bin. It works well with an NM-ESW-16 installed but when I put in a NME-16ES-1G-P it isn't recognised at all. A sh diag gives the following:

Slot 1:
Unknown (type 65535) Port adapter
Port adapter is disabled
Port adapter insertion time unknown
EEPROM contents at hardware discovery:
EEPROM format version 255
EEPROM contents (hex):
0x00: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
0x10: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
0x20: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
0x30: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
0x40: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
0x50: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
0x60: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
0x70: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Does this mean that the NME is U/S? The 2851 doesn't have the PoE power supply but I assumed that the NME would still work minus the PoE capability.

Matt.

There is a very big chance the power supply isn't big enough to handle the PoE support.

Thanks Leo. In my case I have nothing plugged into any of the ports. I'd expect it to be recognised as a module and behave like a switchport module but not able to supply any PoE. I've noticed that the NM-ESW-16 has one post sticking out of the bottom right corner whilst the NME-16ES-1G-P has two as per attached photo (NME on top, NM on bottom). Maybe the extra post switches on something inside the router?

Matt.

Nope.  The line card isn't even powering up.  I'd check the power supply.

Thanks again Leo. I forgot to mention the PS in the 2851 isn't the one with the extra socket for the PoE option, it is just the standard AC PS. Still I would have thought that the NME would have been detected and operated in non-PoE mode as a switchport module. Maybe you do need the PoE PS for these things to work. It could also be that the module is U/S. The 2851 works well with 4 WICs and an NM switchport module installed. It also has two AIMs, a PVDM and 1GB RAM installed.

Matt.

Hi Van,

In addition to what Leo has said, you can also Module datasheet which says 

Advanced PoE Support

The new Cisco EtherSwitch service modules (NME-16ES-1G-P, NME-X-23ES-1G-P, NME-XD-24ES-1S-P, and NME-XD-48ES-2S-P only) are capable of providing both Cisco pre-standard and IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE) support when inserted in Cisco 2900 Series, Cisco 3900 Series, Cisco 2800 Series or 3800 Series Integrated Services Routers (requires a power supply upgrade to an AC-IP power supply for the Cisco 2800 Series and Cisco 3800 Series, or a POE power supply for Cisco 2900 Series and Cisco 3900 Series ). 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/3800-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d15f.html

regds,

aman

Hi 

I did this accidently a while ago and the module worked but did not provide power. As with most things it's highly platform and software specific so no gaurentees.

It may be worth just be getting the PSU module if you think you may need it at a later date.  At which point raising a PO for just a PSU will be a pain. 

HTH

John_in_NZ
Level 1
Level 1

It works just fine without the POE supply.

You could remove the POE draughtboard if you're worried.

Pardon the necropost...

Hey, necroposts don't bother me. Someone else may be looking for this answer some time.

I ended up getting a non-PoE 23ES-1G when I found one for a good price. I added a 6-port 802.3af injector I purchased from a company called WiFi Texas. I have to give them a shout out; good products.

John,

Thanks for contributing to this thread.  Helped me answer the same question I had about using a PoE NME switch module in a 2811 without the AC-IP (PoE) upgraded power supply.  After I receive it and install it, I'll provide an update on what I observe.  Again, Thanks!

-Glenn

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card