Views
Helpful
Replies

no connection to lan port

aconticisco
Level 2
Level 2

Hello all,

I have a 1721 router installed with both an adsl wic and a 4 port switch wic card. My setup is as follows:

pc connected to port 3 (mode access on vlan 20) on the 4 port switch wic  (installed in 1721 router)

port 4 is configured as trunk (encap dot1q) and connected to fasethernet 0 (inbuild of 1721)

fastethernet 0 configured with no ip address

created sub-interface fastethernet 0.20 with encapsulation dot1q on vlan 20

ip address of sub interface 0.20 is 192.168.20.240

pc nic ip address is 192.168.20.245 however cannot ping 20.240 any ideas ?

I want to use only this router with its switch wic for vlans and internet

Thanks

20 Replies 20

Beetlejuice01
Level 1
Level 1

The pc is connected to a switch? The port of pc i suppose sent frame untagged so doesn't go on sub if 0.20. What does it mean port 4 is connected on to fast 0? do you have connected a port of switch module on the same router?

Correct me if i'm wrong.. you have configured a port of 4 port module as trunk connected this to fa0 of the same router with sub interface 0.20... and you want that your pc connected to a port in access in vlan 20 of switch module go inside trunk and terminate on subinterface 0.20?

The pc is connected to a switch?   

the pc is connected to a 4 port wic module of router 1721

do you have connected a port of switch module on the same router?

yes I tried to connect from port 4 of the switch on the same 1721 router to the fastethernet 0 port

Correct me if i'm wrong.. you have configured a port of 4 port module as  trunk connected this to fa0 of the same router with sub interface  0.20..

Exactly

and you want that your pc connected to a port in access in vlan 20 of  switch module go inside trunk and terminate on subinterface 0.20?

Exactly

is it possible ?

Ok... for first things... your router doesn't support switched virtual interface (svi)? The cable used are straight or cross?

I am using straight cables

Hi,

Why did you do this? just configure a vlan 20 interface and all hosts in L2 ports belonging to VLAN 20 will use this SVI to route traffic to another VLAN or the internet( via the native routed port of the router).

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

would you be so kind to write a quick example thanks

also will this work if I need more vlans ?

Cadet.. don't you like cretive user :-)

conf t

interface vlan 20

ip addres 10...... 255.....

no sh

ok so that will be configured on the router and all switch ports just set to access ports on vlan 20

pc gateway will be the vlan 20 ip address correct ?

what ip address will fastethernet 0 have then and do I still need sub-interfaces ?

Yes see if you can configure this svi, with ip address you have configured on sub if... before remove this from it. When the svi is in up up state you must ping the virtual interface  and all will be works correctly and properly configured.

vlan 20 interface did not came up:

Vlan20                     192.168.20.240  YES manual up                    down  

remember also that on interface fastethernet 0.20 I had the command:

ip nat inside

to work back I have configured int fast eth 0.20 with ip, ip nat inside command and encap dot1q

what do you think pls ?

Connect the pc to a port in access for vlan 20.

great Fabio it works, very fast excellent troubleshooting !

can you explain why it did not work with the previous configuration ?

Thanks

Remember for your knowledge, if there is no port up in that vlan or that vlan is not configured on up trunk links the state of that svi is up down. The second down is phisical link, the up is the state of the virtual interface. Have a nyce Christmas.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card