cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission

jmistich
Level 1
Level 1

What is "spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission". I have this in a bunch of my switches and haven't found a good reference for it. TIA.

-John

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Check Bug CSCee70806 at

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl

Release Notes

"no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission" cannot be removed from the "show running" output.

No workaround available

Fixed-in Version: 12.2(25)SE

View solution in original post

The cool feature is that it optimizes bpdu transmission as the name states. However, when enabled it causes high CPU utilization since it runs in software, not hardware.

Cisco decided to disable this feature and hide it from the config. I guess some releases did not hide the command hence a bug was entered against it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Basically, this command shouldn't be seen in the config and the 'no' option should be removed. It's a bug in the IOS, what platform are you running ?

I have it on 3750s and 2955s. I am running 12.2(various).

Check Bug CSCee70806 at

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl

Release Notes

"no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission" cannot be removed from the "show running" output.

No workaround available

Fixed-in Version: 12.2(25)SE

I thought there might have been a cool feature I wasn't aware of. Oh well. Thanks.

The cool feature is that it optimizes bpdu transmission as the name states. However, when enabled it causes high CPU utilization since it runs in software, not hardware.

Cisco decided to disable this feature and hide it from the config. I guess some releases did not hide the command hence a bug was entered against it.

Edison,

Can you elaborate more on this? In older versions of 3750 code "no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission" showed up in the config and could not be changed. With new versions 12.2(25)SEE3 and 12.2(35)SE5, if you do a "write erase" and reload, the command is missing from the config meaning it's entered and on by default. Now where I'm confused is if I do a "default spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission", the command shows up as no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission, like the older code.

So moving forward should it be "spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission" or "no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission"? From your previous post you indicated it could cause high CPU utilization, so it should be turned off with "no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission"? I'm I understanding this correctly?

Edison, - Need your help on this one...

You are correct and the command should be hidden in the config as its the default value is "no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission".

The fact the command can be seen, it's a cosmetic bug.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card