cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Noob needs help with connecting 2514 router to internet.

ry31walsh
Level 1
Level 1

I apologise in advanced for my lack of knowledge. I started studing for the CCENT and literally am on chapter 3. I have been googleling for about an hour and hope someone can help me.

So I bought a 2514 router used as a test lab. It has 2 AUI imputs, 2 serial ports and 2 ethernet ports labeled console and aux. I have a cable model and figured originally I could plug that into one of the ethernet ports and the other into my pc.

So my question is simple how do I connect them. Do I need to buy a AUI to RJ-45 or do I need a serial to RJ-45 or can I hook them up somehow through the ethernet ports? Any information would be great. Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ryan,

You need an AUI to Rj45 converter. Remember the speed for the 2500 series is only 10Mb, so if you connect your PC to this router, you have to make sure your PCs NIC  is 10/100 or 10/100/1000.  As for the serial interface, you need serial cable with one side DCE and the other side DTE. You also need to have a second router, so you can connect them back to back and practice for your CCENT.

BTW, you can not connect this router to Internet

HTH

Reza

Thank you very much for your help Reza, your time is very much appreciated.

Again I apologise for for my lack of knowledge here in time I'm sure I will understand more. But as right now I basically want to have a lab router or something to practice though my funds are somewhat limits.

Is the AUI to RJ45 needed to configure the router? Or can it be done through the ethernet ports on the router to my PC. Also would you recommend getting the same router 2514 or a different one for the second one. Last question is when I get a second router can that be connected through the ethernet ports or do I need a serial cable to connect them that you spoke about. Thank you again for your help.

Ryan.

No need to apologize.  You are on the right track by asking good questions.

No, you don't have to have the AUI to configure the router.  You simply need a blue crossover cable that usually comes with Cisco devices.  This cable gets plugged into the console port of your router and that is how you configure the router initially.

once the initial config is done, then you need an AUI interface to connect the router to your PC.  AUI interface is also your Ethernet interface.

I don't recommend getting 2500 series unless your funding is very limited.  With a little more money you can easily get 2600 or 2600XM series.  They come with 10/100 ports and there is no need for AUI at all.   The reason for AUI on the 2500 series is because they are over 20 years old.  If you have to get 2500 series then 2514 is ok.  It will give 2 Ethernet (AUI) and 2 serial interfaces.  The best place to get them is ebay. 

Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Router-2621-Ethernet-2-Port-10-100-Wired-Router-/290634051878?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item43ab23b126

Yes, you can connect your routers back-to-back using the Ethernet interface, but if you want to play with serial interfaces, then you need a serial cable I mentioned above.

HTH

You have been a huge help, the dots are starting to connect and things are making a lot more sense.

The 2600 is in my price range, so I plan on buying one as the second router to go along with the 2514. You showed the 2621 so thats the one I'm probable going to buy unless you think there is a better one in that price range.

One thing thats confusing me on the 2514 is the console and Aux ports. I'm thinking of them at ethnet ports which I think is totaly wrong. The console is used to configure the router but can't be used to connect to a router or a PC or router to router. The Aux would be used to connect router to router...correct? But the Aux can't be used to connect router to PC?

But if I had a 2621 and 2514. I could connect the PC to the 2621 through ethernet port, then connect the 2621 to 2514 though Aux. But if I wanted to connect a PC to 5214 on the other side I would need the AUI to RJ45? And if I went to do the 2514 to 2621 I would need the AUI to RJ45. I was looking at the converters and if I need it I will buy it but the prices are similar to what I paid for the 2514.

Again THANK you, your help as been awesome.

Lets clear few things for you.

console port is the port you connect to the router to configure it.  Usually when you get a bran new router there is no config on it, so you use the console port to access it and put the basic config on it.

Aux port is used to connect to the router remortly and managet.  It is very seldem used and in you case do not worry about it all.  You can not use the Aux port to connect one router to another. pretend that port does not exist.

You can connect the AUI/Ethernet port to connect router to router and do the same for Serial.  You can also connect your PC to the Ethernet port of the router, but in order for it to work you need to configure your router for talent access first and put an IP address on the same Ethernet router you are connecting to..

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card