Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

not able to ping the interface of the new VLAN

hi

i have a cisco 3750M i created a new vlan but i am not able to ping the ip address of this VLAN this is so wierd, i have a cisco 3750G in which i am able to create a new VLAN and also able to ping the interface ip address..so please help me out in figuring the issue

Thanks

Karthik

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

karthikgopi wrote:

hi

i have a cisco 3750M i created a new vlan but i am not able to ping the ip address of this VLAN this is so wierd, i have a cisco 3750G in which i am able to create a new VLAN and also able to ping the interface ip address..so please help me out in figuring the issue

Thanks

Karthik

It would help if -

1) you posted the config of the 3750

2) you told us where you were trying to ping it from ie. from another switch or a host and if a host is it connected to this switch or another. Which vlan is the host in ?

3)  also can you post from the switch "sh ip int brief" and "sh vlan"

Jon

i have attached the details, in sh ip int br i am seeing the vlan is down in protocol collumn

Just to clarify - which vlan interface is it you are trying to ping ie. 100 or 301 ?

Jon

The reason vlan 100 and vlan 301 interfaces are up/down is that for a vlan interface to be up/up you need either -

1) a port allocated to that vlan to be up/up and you have no ports allocated to either vlan. Note it's not enough just to allocate the port it must also have something connecting so that th port is up/up

or

2) a trunk link on the switch that allows vlans 100 and 301 but you have no trunk link on this switch

Jon

Hi jon

As you said I have connect a device to this port then only the VLAN is up and now I am able the ping the interface ip. Thanks for your help

karthik

No problem, glad to have helped.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card