Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Notified by err-disable

Good day all, i have a question regarding the err-disable state.

i would like to get a message when a port goes in to err-disable.

i apllyed the trap "snmp-server enable traps errdisable"

we have many loops in our network due to usage of 3com switches attached to cisco.

I applyed spanning-tree bpduguard enable on the interfaces and also errdisable recovery so i dont have to enable the port again when the port goes err-disable.

We have here arround 250 cisco switches and the factory is really big and i would like to take out the 3com switches, but for me it is to difficult to find them all.

i can't let the ports stay in err-disable due to production lines that need to stay apparational.

most of times the loop is taken out by employees them self because the network stops at that 3com switch, so for me it is really difficult to find.

So what i need is a program that gets the snmp trap of err-disable and notifie me by email or some other way so i know at which switch i have to look.

i dont want to check all the log files every day.

Does someone have an idea?

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re:Notified by err-disable

Hi

You can use syslog and Analyse the log.

Syslog-ng and logwatch might be interesting.

Cheers

Patrick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Notified by err-disable

So you want to keep track of all the err-disable errors, but not by using log messages.

In this situation, Cisco's EEM comes to mind as a potential solution for you. It will be difficult to initially setup, but once it is running, you can script it to email you upon the switch seeing any err-disable interfaces.

Here is a link to get you started:

http://routerjockey.com/2010/06/14/working-with-the-embedded-event-manager-eem/

Notified by err-disable

hello Kyle, thank you for your answer.

i have read the information you have give me, and it looks great but.....

I have the problem that here we have many old switches and many of them are running old IOS version.

I don't have the option in CLI to use EEM unfortunatly.

And for me to upgrade all to a newer version will take me a long time and it is almost unposible to interupt the network.

The factory runs 24/7

If you have any other alternative i'm listening.

Thanks for your reply!

Re:Notified by err-disable

Hi

You can use syslog and Analyse the log.

Syslog-ng and logwatch might be interesting.

Cheers

Patrick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Views
Helpful
Replies