cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NPS, DHCP, and multiple VLANs

jzetterman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client who's network is divided (with VLANs) by floor in their building. With dot1x authentication enabled all users are leasing an IP address from the first DHCP pool regardless of how the port is tagged.

So for instance, VLAN 700 is the 2nd floor VLAN. A user on the 3rd floor connects to a port tagged for VLAN 720, they authenticate through NPS and then receive an IP address from 700. (DHCP is installed on the NPS server)

Everything I have found online about 802.1x VLAN assignment suggests that you can assign a VLAN during authentication, but I haven't found anything that would help me tell the server which DHCP scope to lease addresses from based on how the port is already tagged on the switch. If there is a way to do this I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Has the DHCP server been configured with your user vlan scopes under a SUPERSCOPE ?

If this is the case then take the vlan scopes out of the SUPERSCOPE.

SUPERSCOPES are not used when we want individual vlans to be scopes in their own right.

Worth having a look.

Hope this helps
Regards
Alex

Please rate usefuol posts

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

They are not using Superscope.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card