Helpful
Replies

NTP clock timezone doubt

jorge.calvo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the following doubt:

In my customer switches the NTP server configured is located in US and hence CST time is being used. Also the switches send syslog messages to a syslog server also located in US and working with CST times.

My question is:

The customer is located in Europe and uses CET times. If I configure the switches with the command clock timezone CET +7, what timezone will the switch use to send the messages to the syslog, CST or CET?

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To be more precise, yes you can add the time from the router if you want and you do have several options. Be aware this is not the default behavior.

NMS-CAT6K-B(config)#service timestamps log ?

datetime Timestamp with date and time

uptime Timestamp with system uptime

You can insert datetime or uptime and then for the datetime you can send the local time on the router or the UTC time and add if you want the timezone to it that is on the router.

More details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g07.html#wp1029551

This should address your question

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

the syslog messages will be received with the timezone the server receiving them is.

Make sure the syslog server is synced as well with the ntp server else you will not be able to correlate the messages from the show log on the routers / switches with the syslog server.

Thanks for your quick reply. So, if I understood it right, the clock timezone CET 7 command will only have local meaning to the switches and it will not affect the syslog time?

For instance, if in the NTP server the time is 9:00 AM CST and I configure the switch to show it as 16:00 CET, the messages received in the syslog will appear as 9:00 CST?

Thanks again and regards.

If I remember correctly the syslog server will timestamp the entries with it's own time setting, but the entries will also include the timestamp of the sending switch IF you have set up "service timestamp logging ..." in the switch.

So you *should* see both your CST time and your CET time in the log entries.

HTH

To be more precise, yes you can add the time from the router if you want and you do have several options. Be aware this is not the default behavior.

NMS-CAT6K-B(config)#service timestamps log ?

datetime Timestamp with date and time

uptime Timestamp with system uptime

You can insert datetime or uptime and then for the datetime you can send the local time on the router or the UTC time and add if you want the timezone to it that is on the router.

More details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g07.html#wp1029551

This should address your question

Thanks, my doubt is solved now. I will configure the timezone offset on the switches.

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card