Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP Server using DNS resolution

tmcmurray
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there a way I can force a 3845 to use DNS each time is does an NTP update?  I'm trying to use the pool.ntp.org addrersses, but when I put them in the config, they resolve at that time.  Since this is a public NTP service, these servers occasionally change, hence the need for ntp.org.  Is there a way to have the router resolve the name each time?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Microsoft was a page that contains multiple NTP/SNTP server (Stratum 1 and Stratum 2) worldwide.  In my configuration, I have multiple NTP servers and they all just take turn.  Use the command:

ntp server 1.1.1.1

ntp server 2.2.2.2

ntp server 3.3.3.3

etc.

Y'get the drift. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Microsoft was a page that contains multiple NTP/SNTP server (Stratum 1 and Stratum 2) worldwide.  In my configuration, I have multiple NTP servers and they all just take turn.  Use the command:

ntp server 1.1.1.1

ntp server 2.2.2.2

ntp server 3.3.3.3

etc.

Y'get the drift. 

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I know there is no way to have the IOS device use DNS to resolve each time it sends a request. It is standard behavior to resolve when the command is entered and to use the address going forward. If you are concerned about servers changing then the advice from Leo to configure multiple servers is a good solution. (and configuring multiple servers allows the IOS device to compare them and to identify any that are out of sync with the majority of the servers that you send requests to)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the ratings.  And thanks Rick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card