Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Number of VLANs

Hi,

As far as I know, I can create up to 1005 VLANs (1, 1002, 1003, 1004 and 1005 already created). But, in some doc, I have seen vlans up to 4095. Where do these extended range come from? How can I manage them?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jorge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Number of VLANs

Jorge,

There are 2 types of software images, Std and enhanced.

You need to have enhanced image in the switch for extended vlan range

The difference between the two is that the EI feature set offers more features including Access Control Lists (ACLs), enhanced Quality of Service (QoS) features, extended-range VLANs, the IEEE 802.1W Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), and the IEEE 802.1S Multiple STP (MSTP). The enhanced crypto software image supports the Secure Shell (SSH) protocol. Only EI capable switches can run cryptographic images

Now these have been renamed as Ip base and Ip services image

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

2 REPLIES

Jorge,

There are 2 types of software images, Std and enhanced.

You need to have enhanced image in the switch for extended vlan range

The difference between the two is that the EI feature set offers more features including Access Control Lists (ACLs), enhanced Quality of Service (QoS) features, extended-range VLANs, the IEEE 802.1W Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), and the IEEE 802.1S Multiple STP (MSTP). The enhanced crypto software image supports the Secure Shell (SSH) protocol. Only EI capable switches can run cryptographic images

Now these have been renamed as Ip base and Ip services image

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Community Member

Thanks a lot, clear enough.

Regards,

Jorge

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content