Helpful
Replies

On demand ping, NEED HELP!!!

huntlee
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all NetPro gurus,

I have a WAN scenario with the following scenario:-

Site A (192.168.9.23) ----- WAN ----- Site B (192.168.38.41)

This is what happens:-

At the beginning of day, doesn't matter what the user did at Site B (192.168.38.41), he can't ping 192.168.9.23.

Now if I goto Site A and from 192.168.9.23 (which is a server), i ping to 192.168.38.41, then from that point onwards, Site B can ping to Site A and everything works.

HOWEVER, after next day, everything resumes to before and the scenario repeats that Site B can not ping Site A again until Site A initiate the ping again.

Have anyone see this before???

Cheers,

Hunt

3 Replies 3

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

huntlee@ibm wrote:

Dear all NetPro gurus,

I have a WAN scenario with the following scenario:-

Site A (192.168.9.23) ----- WAN ----- Site B (192.168.38.41)

This is what happens:-

At the beginning of day, doesn't matter what the user did at Site B (192.168.38.41), he can't ping 192.168.9.23.

Now if I goto Site A and from 192.168.9.23 (which is a server), i ping to 192.168.38.41, then from that point onwards, Site B can ping to Site A and everything works.

HOWEVER, after next day, everything resumes to before and the scenario repeats that Site B can not ping Site A again until Site A initiate the ping again.

Have anyone see this before???

Cheers,

Hunt

Hello Hunt,

While I have not seen this behavior before, it seems like it maybe related to an incorrect ARP entry on the user at Site B. This should not be very difficult to troubleshoot. You can start with the User at Site B and see what happens when he tries to ping Site A. Does he get an ARP response? If yes what is the MAC-Address he gets as part of the ARP response (should be the WAN router's MAC)? Can the WAN router ping the server? This is how you can start narrowing it down.

Atif

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hunt

In addition to Atif's suggestion you could use traceroute, or more likely tracert if a windows client, from the client in Site B to see how far you get when trying to contact the server.

Jon

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This question has also been posted in the Firewalling forum. The link between the 2 sites is a site-to-site VPN so if possible could any answers be posted into the firewalling forum as this will save on confusion -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2048299?tstart=0

Many thanks

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card