cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Orange status lights on out-of-the-box 4510R+E sup7-E...Help!

Justin DeVaughn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I received a 4510R+E preconfigured with Enterprise services on it.  I plugged into the console of the active sup7-E after initializing the chassis and it doesn't let me put an ip address on any interface.  When I use ? command syntax help it doesn't even give the option to put in "address".  For instance,

Router1(Config-Int): ip ?

....Doesn't list "Address" as a possible command

I've enabled ip routing.

I'm guessing there might be a problem with the enterprise services feature set even though show version tells me it's operating permanently under Enterprise.  I think the problem is that the supervisor engine has an amber status light.  What does this mean?

If I get it to go green will I be able to then put ip addresses on interfaces?

Your help would be most appreciated.  I'm on a rather strict deadline with this one and I'm trying to figure it out without opening a TAC case.

Regards,

Justin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Justin,

Under the interface try "no switchport"

and then try putting the IP address

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Justin,

Under the interface try "no switchport"

and then try putting the IP address

HTH

Reza,

I just put my hand to my forehead when I read your answer.  I can't believe I forgot something so simple.  I'll try it tomorrow morning but I think you're 100% correct.

On a side note, this is my first time installing a 4510R+E chassis, do you happen to know why the sup status lights are amber when all the blades have turned green?

No worries Justin.  Some times, we all forget something so simple.  Let me know if that is the issue tomorrow.

On the other note, I have not had any 4500 series, but usually you have amber lights when you only have one sup and one power supply in the chassis. Do you have one PSU? If everything is fine with the chassis and the sup, you should at least have one green light

The amber lights were indeed caused by only one power supply being turned on.  With both turned on they turned green.

Also, the no switchport solved it.  I guess I'm at a stage where I'm learning how each platform behaves in it's default mode.  Multilayer switches sure do bring on the complexity.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card