cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Original 2960 and 15.2 - any luck avoiding it?

Stuff
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2960+ as well as the old 2960.  Well I wasn't paying attention and after upgrading the plus to 15.2(1)E without problem I then loaded it on a plain vanilla 2960.   Well, now it gives some nice errors and reboots.

Why does 15.2 even pass the upgrade tests and install on an unsupported box?

I will be doing the XMODEM thing to go back to 15.0(2)

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use 15.0(2)SE4.

Why does 15.2 even pass the upgrade tests and install on an unsupported box?

Because you probably copied the BIN file into the switch instead of using the "archive download-sw".  Had you used the latter process, you wouldn't be able to succeed. 

That is why I am asking.  I did use the archive download-sw command.  It passed the hardware checks and installed the software with no complaints in the directory along with all of the html files.  Updated the boot path as well so it loads the image but can't run it.

Not sure how that's possible.  2960S/2960X has a different filename.  When you do the "archive download-sw" the script will immediately cough up an error message.

I always do this when I incorrectly load a 2960S IOS into a legacy 2960 (or vice versa).

The 2960+   (that is the new PLUS series)  has the same file name format.  Supposedly the same box except for double the RAM and FLASH.   I have seen how the 2960S and 2960C have different images and will the installer won't proceed.  With the + image it still does. 

From what I see both the 2960 and 2960+ use the same images or at least use the same names.  Someone just forgot to change the memory check from 64MB to 128MB in 15.2(1)E.

The 2960+   (that is the new PLUS series)  has the same file name format.

Ahhhhh ... The Plus.  Didn't thought about that.

Going to add a P to the file name in my directory so I don't goof again.  Hopefully Cisco updates the check in the next revision.

Yes.  I've seen this "bug" before.  This when I loaded an IOS image to 22 units of 2960 LAN Lite.

I didn't check so I had to go to each individual switch and downgraded the IOS via XModem.  Took about 45 minutes per unit.

Some didn't take long because the old IOS was still there. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card