cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR messages after config change

aalbrecht27
Level 1
Level 1

I recently changed some configs on two L3 switches running OSPF.  After this change I'm now getting the below log message about ever 2 minutes or so on one of the switches (172.22.0.53):

%OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR: Process 1 re-originates LSA ID 172.18.24.3 type-2 adv-rtr 172.22.0.53 in area 0

The two switches are using loopbacks 172.22.0.53 and 172.22.0.89, and are connected via a radio link.  Previously both switches were using Layer 3 vlan interfaces with their OSPF configs applied to those vlan interfaces, then the physical interfaces were added in this VLAN as a L2 interface.  The radio AP's were also within this vlan and not participating in OSPF.  Under this setup I was not getting these Flood War messages, but was having a spanning-tree issue which is why I removed the L3 vlan interfaces.

I changed the physical ports to routed ports and copied the L3 vlan interfaces over and removed the L3 vlans.  This is working, but now I'm getting these OSPF Flood war messages.  I didn't change any router ID's, and the IP's set on the L3 vlans were moved to the L3 routed ports so I'm not sure where the duplicate is coming from.  I've attached the configs of both switches.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

from url:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/open-shortest-path-first-ospf/9237-9.html

Q. What does the error message %OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR: Process process-id re-originates LSA ID ip address type-2 adv-rtr ip address in area area id means?

A. The error message is due to the some router that is flushing the network LSA because the network LSA received by the router whose LSA ID conflicts with the IP address of one of the router's interfaces and flushes the LSA out of the network. For OSPF to function correctly the IP addresses of transit networks must be unique. If it is not unique the conflicting routers reports this error message. In the error message the router with the OSPF router ID reported as adv-rtr reports this message.

Also on your 53 config

You have a paasive int on vlan 153 but that SVI does not exist , 133 does though

Regards
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

from url:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/open-shortest-path-first-ospf/9237-9.html

Q. What does the error message %OSPF-4-FLOOD_WAR: Process process-id re-originates LSA ID ip address type-2 adv-rtr ip address in area area id means?

A. The error message is due to the some router that is flushing the network LSA because the network LSA received by the router whose LSA ID conflicts with the IP address of one of the router's interfaces and flushes the LSA out of the network. For OSPF to function correctly the IP addresses of transit networks must be unique. If it is not unique the conflicting routers reports this error message. In the error message the router with the OSPF router ID reported as adv-rtr reports this message.

Also on your 53 config

You have a paasive int on vlan 153 but that SVI does not exist , 133 does though

Regards
Alex

That's what I'm a bit confused on, the configs from the L3 vlan interfaces were simply moved to the physical ports, and then I removed the L3 vlans completely.  I've double checked the configs to make sure I didn't fat finger in the same IP on the physical interfaces but they are different - I'm not sure where the duplicate is coming from.

Hi,

On router 53

Try 

!
int loop 0
shut
!
end

Then try 
ping 172.22.0.53

If you get a !!! response
Then try to find the address 172.22.0.53
with trace and sh ip route 172.22.0.53

It may just be you need to alllocate a different loop 0
ip address on your 53 router.

Regards
Alex

If there was a duplicate IP then why weren't these log messages present before I made the config changes?  This will also cause a disruption in the network which I'm not really looking to do.

aalbrecht27
Level 1
Level 1

I found the duplicate IP address, it was on another switch as another L3 vlan but it wasn't even up.  The weird thing is that the switch sending these flood war messages had a power outage, and when it came back up it stopped sending the flood war messages.  The only reason I know for sure this is the cause is that I had 2 other switches doing the exact same thing and as soon as I removed the L3 vlan the flood war messages stopped on the other switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card