Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Adjacency

tahir1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi serniors,

I have Lan/Wan setup in my office with Cisco routers & switches. OSPF is running on serial as well as multiaccess network. Yesterday I noticed that 2 routers changed adjacency from FULL/DROTHER to 2WAY/DROTHER. Network is running fine without any outage and impact. Later I noticed that a switch is installed on both of these routers interface that changed the adjacency but switch ports are up and running. My question is

• why routers changed the OSPF adjacency ?

Thanks.

Tahir.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Thair,

Did you add another router connecting to you current 2 routers using the same subnet.

This usually happens when you have 3 or more routers on the same subnet, one route is Designated Router (DR) and one Backup Designated Router (BDR). All other routers have a two-way adjacency established. This is normal behavior for OSPF.

http://www.ciscosystems.net.ph/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094059.shtml#routers

HTH

Reza

hi

Nothing was added in that particular network. In that particular network there are 8 routers on the multiaccess network and definately on some segments there are DR and on the other therer are BDR. Routers have FULL/DR and FULL/BDR adjacency on other ports but on a certain port (as i told before) , the adjacency was FULL/DROTHER that changed to 2WAY/DROTHER. My concern is that "WHAT caused this change?" Moreover when i see the router logs , it displays that adjacency changed from full to 2way & when i run "show cdp neighbor" on both routers , neither is in the cdp neighbor list while they are connected. No one changed the priority on the routers as well.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card