Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Area connecting with Type 10 LSA

quiccsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 2 sets of network elements(NE) which are located at different locations. Both sets of NEs are in the same area, so I need to connect them to eac other via a existing core router that supports area 0.  Also, I have Type 10 LSAs that must be advertised between the areas.  I don't want to addvertise Type 10 LSAs to area 0 (core router). So, is there any what to connect both sets of NEs which are in same area via another router using area 0?  I am only allowed to use area 0 on core router and not able to assign to another area.

Diagram..

(A----B----C-----D) ====Core Router=====(E----F----G----H)

(Area 1)                       (Area 0)                     (Area 1)

(Type 10 LSAs)                                            (Type 10 LSAs)

Thanks,

Al

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Al,

Per RFC 2370, Section 3.0:

Link-state type 10 denotes an area-local scope. Type-10 Opaque LSAs are not flooded beyond the borders of their associated area.

For the network shown, I can't think of any way other than GRE tunnel that you can collapse the two Area 1s into a single area. Alternatively, you can create a single big area1 or area 0.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Al,

Per RFC 2370, Section 3.0:

Link-state type 10 denotes an area-local scope. Type-10 Opaque LSAs are not flooded beyond the borders of their associated area.

For the network shown, I can't think of any way other than GRE tunnel that you can collapse the two Area 1s into a single area. Alternatively, you can create a single big area1 or area 0.

Thanks.

Hi

Yes, I realized only area scope for Type 10 LSAs. 

Are there any issues with advertising Type 10 LSAs into backbone area?

Also, do you think another option could be to setup  P2MP OSPF interfaces by explicit proviionsing neighbors. I know this has scale issues, but think this would be possible if limited scale is acceptable.

Thanks,

Al

There shouldn't be any issues with type 10 LSAs in area 0 or area N. I wonder what type of TE is required in your network.

Here is a useful link regarding Inter-Area MPLS TE.

RFC4105 - Requirements for Inter-Area MPLS Traffic Engineering

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card