cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF authentication

chris_moyzan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys. I`m being tasked to add OSPF authentication to all our devices that use OSPF. I did some research and I know how to do it. The thing is, I'm not sure how I could do it in a timely manner... Also, how can I tell which interface is in which OSPF process? When I do a show ip ospf, it lists the processes and tells me how many interfaces are in the process but doesn't tell me which ones.

Is there a way to enter the md5 password at the area level instead of at the interface level? That would be much quicker and easier for me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, on multilayer switches it is possible to use the "interface range" command similarly to this:

conf t

interface range Gig0/1 - 30

no switchport

ip ospf message-key 1 md5 xxxx

Cheers:

Istvan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

Use the "show ip ospf interface serial1/0" type command to see which area the interface is attached to.

If you use the "show ip ospf interface", it will list all interfaces configured for OSPF.

I know only of interface level authentication as to the configuration of authentication keys.

Cheers:

Istvan

Thanks for your reply, Istvan, although it's a bit of a letdown since I have lots of interface to configure :( On our main switch I have 3 processes with about 30 interfaces. Is it possible to enter the "Ip ospf message-key 1 md5 password on an interface range?

Yes, on multilayer switches it is possible to use the "interface range" command similarly to this:

conf t

interface range Gig0/1 - 30

no switchport

ip ospf message-key 1 md5 xxxx

Cheers:

Istvan

Ok, thanks, I'll do more testing.

You may also want to remember to be careful when you apply the Md5 key: dont add any extra spaces on one side....sometimes that happens when you use Notepad to make sweeping config changes.

Thanks

Victor

Thanks, Victor, I will check to make sure there aren't any problems with the key. I did some tests and it seems I can set a key for an interface even though authentication is not set in the area. This simplifies my task since I'll just apply the command to a range of interfaces.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card