Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF authentification on E1.

laptev.valery
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day!

Is it possible to configure ospf Authentification on routers in the same area ID, which are connected whith FastEthernet and E1 and sereal interfaces???

I need to use 1 password in all area routers.

Pleas, give some help...

when configuring E1 it is not interface, it is controler. we attaching Loopback whith IP to it. But i couldent finde anifing like OSPF auth...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Valery,

You can use the same OSPF password for authentication purposes on all OSPF-enabled interfaces. For example, assume that the interface Fa0/0 is in area 0 while the Fa0/1 is in area 1. The configuration for MD5 authentication would be performed as follows:

interface FastEthernet 0/0

ip ospf message-digest-key 1 md5 MySecretOSPFPassword

interface FastEthernet 0/1

router ospf 1

area 0 authentication message-digest

area 1 authentication message-digest

Regarding the configuration of the E1 controller - I am not sure what you indicated by saying that you are associating a Loopback interface with it. In any case, you need to configure the E1 controller for proper framing and to bundle the individual timeslots into communication channels. These communication channels will be subsequently represented by virtual Serial interfaces in the IOS configuration that will need to be configured with IP addresses and the OSPF authentication, identically to the example above. I am not sure if your E1 controller is actually operational if you do not have configured the virtual Serial interfaces for individual timeslot bundles - and as far as I know, a Loopback interface cannot substitute them. Perhaps you are referring to the IP Unnumered feature...?

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Valery,

You can use the same OSPF password for authentication purposes on all OSPF-enabled interfaces. For example, assume that the interface Fa0/0 is in area 0 while the Fa0/1 is in area 1. The configuration for MD5 authentication would be performed as follows:

interface FastEthernet 0/0

interface FastEthernet 0/1

router ospf 1

area 0 authentication message-digest

area 1 authentication message-digest

Regarding the configuration of the E1 controller - I am not sure what you indicated by saying that you are associating a Loopback interface with it. In any case, you need to configure the E1 controller for proper framing and to bundle the individual timeslots into communication channels. These communication channels will be subsequently represented by virtual Serial interfaces in the IOS configuration that will need to be configured with IP addresses and the OSPF authentication, identically to the example above. I am not sure if your E1 controller is actually operational if you do not have configured the virtual Serial interfaces for individual timeslot bundles - and as far as I know, a Loopback interface cannot substitute them. Perhaps you are referring to the IP Unnumered feature...?

Best regards,

Peter

fank you)

I will chek it on routers!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card