cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Design with DCI

mmacdonald70
Level 1
Level 1

I am designing a new OSPF network that will combine several sites.  My original plan involved adding all the WAN routers into Area 0 and then either putting each (L3) user switch and each data centre into its own area or creating an Area for each site.

The problem is now that we are looking into also interconnecting our L2 domains in the Datacenters, this breaks my idea.

Has anybody seen a best practice document or design guide that took this into account?  Does it make sense to put all datacentres in one big area for this?

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mmacdonald70 wrote:

I am designing a new OSPF network that will combine several sites.  My original plan involved adding all the WAN routers into Area 0 and then either putting each (L3) user switch and each data centre into its own area or creating an Area for each site.

The problem is now that we are looking into also interconnecting our L2 domains in the Datacenters, this breaks my idea.

Has anybody seen a best practice document or design guide that took this into account?  Does it make sense to put all datacentres in one big area for this?

It's not clear how many sites are not DC sites but could you not simply make the L2 interconnected DCs one area and then still have area 0 as the WAN ? That would seem to be the simplest solution.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card