cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF E2 routes

ssieger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, in a multi area ospf network, what can be the reason that only in some areas only e2 routes are not getting older? This e2 routes are not getting older than one day, whereas intra and inter area routes have an age of one week and more?

Hope that anybody can give me a hint.

Greetings, Stephan

9 Replies 9

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check the ASBR advertising these routes. Perhaps this device lost reachability to those routes or the device itself lost connectivity to the rest of the OSPF speaking devices.

Edison,

In the case, ASBR lost reachability to routes then database must age out & routes shud disappear. However, question posted shows that the routes are still there for more than week.

The routes older than a week, per OP, are intra and inter area routes which may be originated by the same ASBR or another ABR.

OP is only questioning why the E2 routes are a day old. These routes are only originated by an ASBR and that device must be inspected.

All routes are originated by the same device, it's my core-device which is an ABR and ASBR. I have only 3 non-stub areas, in 2 of them the E2 routes are not getting older than one day, in the third non-stub area the E2 routes are getting much older, but these routes are redistributed by the same 6500er. I've updatet the ios from the 2 "faulty" areas but nothing has changed. What i need is an idea to start troubleshooting.

Stephan.

Can you post show ip ospf from the affected and non-affected areas ?

Hi Edison,

if you need more information let me know,

Thanx

How many routers you have in area 206 ?

From the router you posted, I noticed this output

SPF algorithm last executed 1w3d ago

Can you post show ip ospf from the ABR router from that area ?

There are 2 routers in area 206 and 2 in area 212. I send you a new attachment from that area 206 router with a slice of the routing table, and the show ip ospf output from the 6500er, the ABR/ASBR. I've seen that the recalculations in area 0 and the affected area 206 occurs at the same time, but why are the E2 routes in area 212 are still getting older?

if your routing table doesn't have too many flapping routes, you could try 'debug ip routing' and see what causes route refresh. Best place to watch this is first router(s) where path from those redistributed towards area with problem and without problem becomes different.

You could also debug spf calculations and ospf updates on that router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card