Replies

OSPF equal cost path

fabio.marino
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have

ospf.jpg           

The network 192.168.0.0 is directly connected to Router A and B. Router A and B are redistributing the network in the ospf area 0.

Router A,B,C,D belong to the same OSPF Area.

Router C is DR. The cost of the link is indicated in the draw.

Question:

Router D (and router C) is using as next hop the Router A for reaching the network 192.168.0.0.

Why the router D is not using the router B as next hop due to the fact that all the possible paths are equal cost?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Fabio,

if the Forwarding Address is not 0.0.0.0, the next hop will be calculated by evaluating the OSPF internal path to the FA.

Useful link: The Effects of the Forwarding Address on Type 5 LSA Path Selection

Otherwise you'll have to look for the components of the costs: Cost to ASBR + Seed cost (E2; default: 20) or external cost (E1).

HTH

Rolf

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Fabio

Are C and D not seeing equal cost paths ?

Jon

Every interface of every router inside the mentioned ospf process is seeing the cost ,emtioned in the draw (1)

Fabio

So do C and D have two equal cost paths in the IP routing table to that network ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

no. Router B and C have only one entry in the routing table and both are using as next hop router A.

Fabio,

Jon,

I hope you allow me to join.

Could you please post the output of

- show ip ospf border-routers

- show ip ospf database external 192.168.0.0

from Router D?

Points to focus on:

- metric-type E1/E2

- seed-metric (E2) / external metric (E1)

- costs to ASBRs A and B

- non-zero Forwarding Addresses in Type-5 LSAs

Regards

Rolf

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

Can you paste the output of show ip protocols and show ip ospf database router x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the RID of Router A and B, C and D.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi All,

I got all your point. No output possible.

I will analise th answer of Rolf.

I just need an indication of what can be.

Fabio,

if the Forwarding Address is not 0.0.0.0, the next hop will be calculated by evaluating the OSPF internal path to the FA.

Useful link: The Effects of the Forwarding Address on Type 5 LSA Path Selection

Otherwise you'll have to look for the components of the costs: Cost to ASBR + Seed cost (E2; default: 20) or external cost (E1).

HTH

Rolf

Let me check, I am really curiosi to figure out this point and of course I will let you know.

Thanks all.

Cheers,

Fabio.

Hi,

At the end the information provided by Rolf fit in my case.

Playing with the cost to reach the ASBR and the metric of the external route I was able to figure out why the router A is the50

preferred exit point: during the redistribution router A is modifying the metric value, in this way C and D are using A as

Thanks all!!!

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rolf

Always welcome

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card