Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

OSPF LSA type 1, link ID meaning

Hi !

I remember I had already posted this question on news groups but the discussion as been removed (it's look like too older discussion)

I had read : Authorized Self-Study Guide Building Scalable Cisco Internetwork (BSCI) for my preparation to the exam.  In the OSPF chapter the author as wrote on page 230 :

Each type 1 LSA is identified by the originating router's ID in the link-state ID field.

Each of the router's links (interfaces) is defined as one of four types: type 1, 2, 3, or 4. The LSA includes a link ID field to identify what is on the other end of the link; depending on the link type, the link ID field has different meanings. Type 1 LSA link types and their link ID meanings are described in

Table 5-2.

Table 5-2. LSA Type 1 (Router LSA) Link Types

Link TypeDescriptionLink ID
1Point-to-point connection to another router Neighbor router ID
2Connection to a transit network DR's interface address
3Connection to a stub network IP network/subnet number
4Virtual LinkNeighbor router ID

During my revision this part on the text let me confused, I try to find the same part of information in the OSPF Network Desing Solution book from Cisco Press, but I had find nothing about it.

Someone can give to me some more detailed about the LSA Type 1 and link ID meaning ?

Thanks a lot !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: OSPF LSA type 1, link ID meaning

Hello Christien,

a router LSA is a data structure that has an owner/ originator so it has a "title" = OSPF router-id of originating router.

The router LSA has some bit flags used as options for example to signal if the router is acting as ASBR (= injecting external routes into OSPF domain).

After the title, and the flags there is a list of links that are:

in the same area to which the Router LSA refers.

For each of these links there is a small data structure made of the fields described in the table

so there is a link type and a link-id

The  objective of link state database is to provide an exact image of links within the area

So if the link is point-to-point to allow remote routers in the same area to figure who is on the other end of the link the link id is the OSPF router-id of neighbor.

For multiaccess segment in order to correctly draw the lan segment the remote router needs to know :

on non  DR devices (state DRother) a pointer to DR IP address on segment is provided

on DR device a list of OSPF router-ids of devices connected to the LAN segment is provided and the IP subnet of the segment in corresponding network LSA

(edit: this is actually a type 2 network LSA on DR  device not a router LSA sorry for this but it is part of the picture )

This allows to a remote device to know what routers are connected to a LAN segment!

if no OSPF neighbor is seen on the interface, this is a leaf and the router needs to advertise the IP subnet associated to it

for those very rare cases where a virtual link has to be used it is like a point-to-point link so the link-id is the other endpoint OSPF router-id

Hope to  help

Giuseppe

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

LSA Type 1 is basically the router saying to everyone that its running OSPF and its OSPF interfaces. The Link ID is equivalent to the Router-ID which often is the loopback interface or if the loopback is missing, the highest IP address will be selected. You can also alter this process by manually entering the router-id information under the OSPF process.

Regards

Edison.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Hello Christien,

a router LSA is a data structure that has an owner/ originator so it has a "title" = OSPF router-id of originating router.

The router LSA has some bit flags used as options for example to signal if the router is acting as ASBR (= injecting external routes into OSPF domain).

After the title, and the flags there is a list of links that are:

in the same area to which the Router LSA refers.

For each of these links there is a small data structure made of the fields described in the table

so there is a link type and a link-id

The  objective of link state database is to provide an exact image of links within the area

So if the link is point-to-point to allow remote routers in the same area to figure who is on the other end of the link the link id is the OSPF router-id of neighbor.

For multiaccess segment in order to correctly draw the lan segment the remote router needs to know :

on non  DR devices (state DRother) a pointer to DR IP address on segment is provided

on DR device a list of OSPF router-ids of devices connected to the LAN segment is provided and the IP subnet of the segment in corresponding network LSA

(edit: this is actually a type 2 network LSA on DR  device not a router LSA sorry for this but it is part of the picture )

This allows to a remote device to know what routers are connected to a LAN segment!

if no OSPF neighbor is seen on the interface, this is a leaf and the router needs to advertise the IP subnet associated to it

for those very rare cases where a virtual link has to be used it is like a point-to-point link so the link-id is the other endpoint OSPF router-id

Hope to  help

Giuseppe

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the explanation, while I had waiting for reponse I find out my previous posted on same subject.  Here is the link :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/831151#831151

Views
Helpful
Replies