cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF LSA

shelley_wang
Level 1
Level 1

How does an OSPF router validate the received LSA from neighbor?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gregory Camp
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I guess it depends on what you mean by validate.  There is a checksum that is used in OSPF to make sure the OSPF update was not corrupted for some reason.

View solution in original post

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

Jingyi,

Good one there !

Though am not so sure about the answer, but will light up what i feel it is.

Every Ospf packets, from Type 1 to Type 5 have the same Ospf header fields except for the type field (which actually defines whether its hello, dbd et al)

Again the Ospf neighbors will start exchanging LSA's only after the neighborship is formed (the mandatory attributes to be matched and present)

If the recieving router gets any Ospf packet with a change in this attribute, for eg: Router id it will not/should not accept the LSA'a

In short Ospf validates the neighbor structure in every recieved packet types and hence validates the source.

It is a complicated process, but Ospf does keep track of the neighbor data structure and updates or any changes too.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Gregory Camp
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I guess it depends on what you mean by validate.  There is a checksum that is used in OSPF to make sure the OSPF update was not corrupted for some reason.

I know that BGP router validates a received update by checking the reachability

to the next_hop.

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

Jingyi,

Good one there !

Though am not so sure about the answer, but will light up what i feel it is.

Every Ospf packets, from Type 1 to Type 5 have the same Ospf header fields except for the type field (which actually defines whether its hello, dbd et al)

Again the Ospf neighbors will start exchanging LSA's only after the neighborship is formed (the mandatory attributes to be matched and present)

If the recieving router gets any Ospf packet with a change in this attribute, for eg: Router id it will not/should not accept the LSA'a

In short Ospf validates the neighbor structure in every recieved packet types and hence validates the source.

It is a complicated process, but Ospf does keep track of the neighbor data structure and updates or any changes too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: