OSPF path MPLS/point to point

taimoor khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

I have two links on my router;

R1 ----- MPLS -----R2 ------------------------------------------1st link

R1-----pt to pt -----R3------MPLS----R2 ---------------------2nd Link

by default I am using 1st link and I would like to move to 2nd link, can anyone help how do I do that ?

6 Replies 6

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

You may use the bandwidth command to influence OSPF path selection. Check the following:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/35684

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Rajesh - pt to pt link is 100Mb and Mpls is 200Mb, I don't know how this will work as the link I chose to select is 100Mb. 

Hey,

Check the cost of these two interfaces with command 'show ip ospf int x/y', and to keep it simple lets change the cost. Configure a lower cost for 2nd link with command ip ospf cost at interface level.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

From R1 to R2, correct?  (R2 to R1 could be tricky - depends on how R2 interact with MPLS).

For R1 to R2, you could just set a direct (high) OSPF interface cost on the R1 port to MPLS.

All Mpls managed by vendor actually, R1 to R1 via MPLS I define the vlan interface and in the vlan interface OSPF cost is 1. on the other side, pt to pt link is very straight its a L3 interface with ospf cost of 1.

I have 5 ospf interface I am wondering what will happened if I increase cost of MPLS interface will be it go directly to pt to pt interface so will it go to other ospf interface with same cost =1.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Path chosen to destination will be path with least aggregate OSPF cost along the path.  Not knowing the topology for your other 5 interface, or the costs for each hop, unable to say.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card