Views
Helpful
Replies

ospf route filtering

rajeshk200_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dudes,

I need to achieve outboud route filtering on ABR.

ABR has got 2 area 0 and area 50, it is receiving external type 1 routes from area 50, I would like to inject some of these routes into ospf area 0 and filter all other routes.

I tried with distribute-list and it's not filtering and area 0 routers learning all the routes from ABR.

Cheers,

Rajesh

6 Replies 6

lee.reade
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

In order to filter your type 5 E1 routes you will need to perform the filtering on the ASBR and not the ABR.

HTH

LR

Hi

thanks for response

ASBR has got only one area 50(planning to have multiple area later stage ) and it is injecting all static routes in to ospf process, I need to inject only specfic routes injected into ospf ABR which is having area 0 and 50.

in the expansion process lot more ABR coming and need to receive specific static routes from ASBR, that's reason I am redistribuiting all the static routes into ASBR OSPF process.

How do I achieve required routing for this.

Cheers,

Rajesh

Hi,

The only way you can filter the external routes, if not on the ASBR is on the actual router itself, ie distribute list in, this will prevent the route from showing in the routing table but does not filter it from within the ospf database.

HTH

LR

Hi,

I have done exactly the same, As you said I can see only permitted routes in ABR routing table but not on area 0 internal router, seemingly learning all routes fom ABR's ospf database and distribute-list out has no effect on routing filtering.

Is there any other remedy to filter type 5 lsa based on IP prefix on ABR?

Cheers,

Rajesh

Here is a long shot, and I don't know whether it would work 'cos I have not tried it.

Try putting in an area range summary that corresponds to the route(s) you are trying to filter out. Does that make it a type 3? If so, try adding an area filter to filter it out. (Normally an area filter will filter type-3s but not type-5s.)

It's a whacky idea, so I have no idea whether it would work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_osp1.html#wp1011537

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_osp1.html#wp1011184

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin,

I tried that and it has no effect on route filtering.

I am scratching my head to find any alternative and any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rajesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card