cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF summarization within an area !!

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have many sites that have only 1 active link to the hub at any time, now normally in an area i have approx 60+ routes on each router whereas the next hop for every route is same i.e. ABR of that area, so is there a way i can summarize all the routes ?? they may not be contiguous so is there any option that forces the ABR or internal router to keep certain summary routes instead of complete 60+ routes ?

thanks

6 Replies 6

simonstoll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

As OSPF is a link state Protokoll, you cannot summarize within an area. All linkstate databases on all routers within an area must contain the same data. What you can do is using different areas for you sites and make them all stub or totaly stub. Another option is to use a differnt routing protocoll such as EIGRP where you can summarize anywhere you like.

Simon

hi,

As simon says you can not summarise within a area but you can summarise the networks at area boundary or at ABR.

The area range command is used only with Area Border Routers (ABRs). It is used to summarize routes for an area. The result is that a single summary route is advertised to other areas by the ABR. External to the area, a single route is advertised for each address range.Multiple area router configuration commands specifying the range option can be configured. Thus, OSPF can summarize addresses for many different sets of address ranges.

The command is:

area area-id range ip-address ip-address-mask [advertise | not-advertise] [cost cost]

e.g.:

area 1 range 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 advertise cost 10

NOTE:

area-id is the Identifier of the area about which routes are to be summarized.

In case of OSPF you can summarise only at 2 points in the network which are at ABR with above command and at ASBR using summary-address command.

HTH,

regards,

shri :)

Not sure whether this will satisfy your needs but you can configure your spokes as totally stubby area which would mean the ABR would just send out only a default route and will block all external and summary routes from other areas

Just understand that within a given area all the routers will have identical link state database but the only difference would be the number of routes

HTH

Narayan

hi, i know that the LS database must be same on all routers what i was seeking is that the database shall be identical but routing table should be smaller in size,

Anyway thanks for every1's feedback :)

Hi

If the size of your routing table is the problem, here is the solution:

You can controll with a a distribute list in the OSPF Prozess what information gets out of the LSDB in the Routing Table. Here is an example to just import the default route:

router ospf 10

network 10.22.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0

distribute-list DEFAULT in

!

ip access-list standard DEFAULT

permit 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

This distribute list has nothing to do with the LSDB Updates send to other neighbors, it just controlls the interaction of the LSDB to to the FIB.

Hope thats what you where looking for :-)

Simon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have no first hand experience using it, but you might also want to look at ODR as a candidate.

See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tk810/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card