cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

packet flow in inter-vlan routing

CrackedJack1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question on how packets move between machines in the following scenario:

Switch A has IP routing enabled and has two vlans defined with an ip address assigned to each. Lets say those vlans are 10

and 20.

Switch B is trunked to switch A. On switch B I have two servers: one on vlan 10, one on vlan 20. Their gateway is

set to the IP address of their vlan on Switch A.

What I want to know is when I transfer stuff between the two servers on switch B, do all packets have to travel

through switch A? Do the packets stay within switch B? Do only the first few packets go to switch A to get routed

and then the rest stay within switch B?

If in case it matters, we're talking about TCP and UDP packets, maybe even some multicast traffic.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you are transfering between 2 servers that are connected to switch B and the 2 servers are in the same vlan, the traffic never gets to switch A.

It is all local to switch B.

HTH

The two servers are not in the same vlan. One is on vlan 10, the other on vlan 20. Their gateway is the IP address set on their respectively vlans on switch A.

Thanks

In that case, the copmunication betweem the vlans will always go through their default gateways which is switch A.

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Normally, it's as Reza describes in his 2nd post.  However, back in days of yore, the Catalyst 5000/5500 series supported multilayer switching with an external router.  When active, the first packet would go to the router, and it would route it between the subnets/VLANs, but the switch would then note what it did, and for subsequent packets of the same flow, L3 switch locally between the VLANs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card