Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Parallel running OSPF and EIGRP

We're moving from OSPF to EIGRP, so we're currently running the two protocols side-by-side, with EIGRP's AD ramped up to 150 (internal) and 155 (external) using eigrp distance command.

The advertised OSPF route goes over a tunnel interface, whereas the EIGRP route is point-to-point.

One of the 3750's replaces the OSPF advertised route 110/11 (O) in the routing table, with the equivalent external EIGRP route. It looks as though this is because the tunnel interface actually went into OSPF loading state.

Can anyone think of why EIGRP would have this affect on OSPF? As soon as I removed the EIGRP process the tunnel interface went from loading to full.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, J

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Parallel running OSPF and EIGRP

In general this sounds like it might be a recursive lookup issue. Perhaps if you post configs of the routers involved we might find the issue better.

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your reply Rick. Actually I figured out that it had something to do with me redistributing static routes into EIGRP, which included the destination loopback interface address for the tunnel. Anyway, I'm now using a route map to filter the static routes that I want and it's working just fine.

Thanks, J

Hall of Fame Super Silver

J

Thanks for posting back that you have resolved the issue. A dynamic routing protocol advertising the address of the tunnel destination over the tunnel (so that the tunnel destination appears to be reachable THROUGH the tunnel) is the recursive lookup problem. And redistribution of routes into the dynamic protocol is a frequent source of this issue.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies