Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

passing vlan traffic over a VPN

hi there,

I've been asked to setup a branch office with a cisco switched solution that matches the setup in head office.

The idea is that we can extend the voice, video and data vlans out to the branch office.

However I wasn't sure whether you can pass vlan traffic across a VPN? To complicate matters further the VPN will be formed between 2 watchguard firewalls.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers,

Al

4 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

passing vlan traffic over a VPN

Al,

I would question why they want to extend existing vlans across WAN.  In most case, that is not necessary.  You just need to have 2 local subnets (one for voice and one for data) terminate the subnets on your branch office router and let the router/firewall route them over your VPN.

HTH

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: passing vlan traffic over a VPN

Possible - not exactly with what you imply is your setup - possibly it can be spoofed with some (non-trivial) effort.

Recommended - no. As Reza stated, routing is the preferred solution set here. There are lots of designs that would enable the business needs without trying to extend / replicate the VLANs.

Hi,

This is possible. The vlan traffic would just terminate on a L3 device at each end right? and the subnet would simply be routed across the VPN. So, in short its do-able. The vlan subnets would just become part of the interesting traffic.

HTH

Regards,

Kishore

ok thanks for the advice guys. It is much appreciated.

Views
Helpful
Replies