Views
Helpful
Replies

password recovery for 2960 without loosing configuration

shakeerali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I don't remember password for Cisco 2960 switch, now i want to recover the password. I have checked few documents but would like to know few things before following these steps.

1. Is password recovery procedure for Cisco 2960 switch is different from normal ctr+break then change the register method? As i am more confident of doing this procedure than  using mode button and then renaming the configuration file.

2. If i follow below procedure then hope it won't erase the configuration including vlans information.?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11756896/cisco-switch-29603560-password-recovery-and-factory-default-mode-button

3. Pressing mode button is an alternate to using ctrl+break sequence? and long pressing of mode button does't effect anything.

4. Restarting the switch after pressing mode button (without making any changes) will go back to previous configuration (working condition).

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Is password recovery procedure for Cisco 2960 switch is different from normal ctr+break then change the register method? As i am more confident of doing this procedure than  using mode button and then renaming the configuration file.

Password recovery for switches, like the Catalyst 2K and 3K, are far more simpler.    Read this:  Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches

2. If i follow below procedure then hope it won't erase the configuration including vlans information.?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11756896/cisco-switch-29603560-password-recovery-and-factory-default-mode-button

I've posted a link above.  I'd recommend you read that one.  The link you've posted is about someone who wants to make a simple procedure look complicated.  

3. Pressing mode button is an alternate to using ctrl+break sequence? and long pressing of mode button does't effect anything.

Correct.  Get your mindset out of the password recovery of routers.  When you are dealing with some models of switches, it's the "Mode" button.  There are no "Mode" buttons in routers, hence, the Ctrl+Break key is required. 

4. Restarting the switch after pressing mode button (without making any changes) will go back to previous configuration (working condition).

If you did NOT rename the configuration file, yes, the switch will reboot and load the existing configuration file.  

If you renamed the configuration file, the switch will reboot.  Finding no configuration file, the switch will load the factory defaulted configuration.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Is password recovery procedure for Cisco 2960 switch is different from normal ctr+break then change the register method? As i am more confident of doing this procedure than  using mode button and then renaming the configuration file.

Password recovery for switches, like the Catalyst 2K and 3K, are far more simpler.    Read this:  Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches

I've posted a link above.  I'd recommend you read that one.  The link you've posted is about someone who wants to make a simple procedure look complicated.  

Correct.  Get your mindset out of the password recovery of routers.  When you are dealing with some models of switches, it's the "Mode" button.  There are no "Mode" buttons in routers, hence, the Ctrl+Break key is required. 

If you did NOT rename the configuration file, yes, the switch will reboot and load the existing configuration file.  

If you renamed the configuration file, the switch will reboot.  Finding no configuration file, the switch will load the factory defaulted configuration.

Thanks...!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco