cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

password recovery on 1900 series ISR

cconstantine
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is a newbie FAQ, but here goes...

I can see the console on the router. (Using the USB console connected to a Macintosh.) I was configuring the router though this console connection, and I created a new user (priv level 15) and removed the default 'cisco' user. So I'm stuck at the username/password login prompt now.

I decided to do the password recovery procedure (via the cisco doc I found etc), but I cannot break into ROMMON during the boot process. I'm not sure if that's because my Mac isn't sending the break, or what.

The pw recovery doc says you can "remove flash" if you can't break into the boot sequence. However, I cannot find any instructions on how to remove the flash. I've opened the router, and I see one very small daughter card on the main board that I think is the flash, but I'm not about to start arbitrarly prying parts off.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
But I cannot break into ROMMON during the boot process. I'm not sure if that's because my Mac isn't sending the break, or what.

The CF is at the back of the router (lower left-hand corner).  Remove the cover and eject the CF.  Reboot the router and you'll immediately go into ROMmon.  At this stage you can re-insert the CF.

This is a 1921; there's no CF on the back (as far as I can see)...

I've opened the router, and I see one very small daughter card on the main board that I think is the flash

Thanks for the picture.  It helps alot.

When you opened the lid, did you see any Compact Flash?  If you do, then eject this. 

There's no CF in the interior that I can see...

...just that one, rather small, daughter card -- centered about 1/3 way from the side of the main board:

I note that the main board says "M1F" next to the outline around this daughter card -- reminds me of a 'Main 1 Flash" sort of Cisco naming convention. But again, I don't want to try prying this off hoping it's the flash memory that will drop me into ROMMON on the next boot.

I wish I could find some Cisco doc that explained how to do the PW reset when you can't break into the boot process...

Ok.  Thanks for the pictures.  Nope these are not the ones.  I reviewed the Data Sheet of the 1921 and it's telling me that the 256mb Flash is internal.  Which leads me to believe the Flash is built-in to the mother board.  You'll have to find another Windows-based client and download the USB console driver from Cisco and try it this way.

cconstantine
Level 1
Level 1

...answering myself to close this conversation out.

I just punted and cabled the 2921 to a nearby Linux box with a good 'ol serial port. Launched 'screen' and issued a break during the boot-up. Resetting the password is then just the usual FAQ.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card