Views
Helpful
Replies

paste large ACL via console

vos123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have some problem with paste large ACLs >50 lines to a cisco 6500 ( and others types also). It seems that after 50 lines some sort of buffer is filled and then, no rules are accepted anymore.

We always use the console via a terminalserver (2600 type).

line con 0

logging synchronous

transport preferred none

transport output telnet

There is a workarround; use some sort of 'slow' paste. But are there other solutions for this problem ?

greetings.

Jeroen

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeroen

Given the relatively slow speed of the console port of the router or switch and the fast processing of the PC doing the paste it is a common problem that if you paste anything large you will over-run the input buffer of the console. The best solution for this is to configure your terminal emulator (Hyperterm, TeraTerm, SecureCRT, or whatever you use) with a line delay (or perhaps some character delay) to slow down the paste. Most of the emulators have a default of no line delay and no character delay.

The only alternative that I know is if you have something large to paste, is to break it down into smaller chunks of 30 to 40 lines each and paste each chunk separately (and for me that is much more tedious than having a slower paste).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I agree with Rick smaller chunks if its very large . You can tftp it but that adds a lot of extra work if you are not directly attached to the same network of getting it up on the server and then tftping it to the layer 3 device . I see the same problems at times even telneted into the router so the best answer for a single acl is probably just use smaller chunks. Also as an observation I have found there seem to be fewer problems like this if you use named acl's , don't know why maybe because you are in acl config mode when you paste in the lines but it seems to go in better using named acl's in addition to giving much better flexibility in modify the lists .

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can copy the ACL via TFTP.

HTH and please rate.

dan.cicioiu
Level 1
Level 1

You can try rsh. Generate/create a file with all the changes on the equipment and exec those commands via rsh.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card