cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR on Basic L3 IOS

mikedelafield
Level 1
Level 1

i am about to order a 4510R chassis with supervisor V and just want to confirm that policy based routing is support on the basic L3 IOS?

please help!

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

"The IP Base image will not support the following routing-related features: BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, IPX, AppleTalk, Virtual Route Forwarding-lite (VRF]-lite), and Policy-Based Routing (PBR)"

Full link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_data_sheet09186a00801fcaba.html

HTH

Jon

We have Supervisor V-10GE.

For PBR are you confirming we require the Enhanced / Enterprise IOS image? Ie S45ES-12231SG?

Thanks again.

Mike

Feature Navigator is the tool you need to use to check these sort of things.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

I did the check for you. You need the enhanced image for PBR.

Jon

i am confused. according to the Feature Navigator; Policy Based Routing was included in the Basic L3 IOS up until 12.2(25).

cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA12.bin

My supplier tells me this is the IOS the new Supervisor V-10GE ships with anyway. Does this mean we do not require the enhanced image?

Have Cisco only recently changed the contents of the various images?

Mike

Okay i was confused as well. Unfortunately we don't have any 4500's running pre SG train software. However i found this

"A new Cisco IOS Software package for Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches was introduced in Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(25)SG. It is a new foundation for features and functionality and provides consistency across all Cisco Catalyst switches. The new Cisco IOS Software release train is designated as 12.2SG.

Prior Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Cisco IOS Software images for the Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches, formerly known as Basic Layer 3 and Enhanced Layer 3, now map to IP Base and Enterprise Services, respectively. BGP is now included in the Enterprise Services image. All currently shipping Cisco Catalyst 4500 software features based on Cisco IOS Software are supported in the IP Base image of Release 12.2(44)SG, with a few exceptions.

The IP Base image does not support enhanced routing features such as NSF/SSO, BGP, EIGRP, EIGRPv6, OSPF, OSPFv3, IS-IS, Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX), AppleTalk, VRF-lite, and Policy-Based Routing (PBR). The IP Base image supports EIGRP-Stub for limited routing on Supervisor Engines II-Plus, II-Plus-TS, II-Plus-10GE, IV, V, V-10GE, and 6-E. "

So from 12.2(25)SG the base image was rebadged from Basic L3 LAN to IP Base and PBR was only supported in the Enhanced.

So it does look like Basic L3 LAN image will support PBR - according to both Feature navigator and your vendor. If you don't need any of the additional features in the Enhanced image you could go with that but you need to be aware that if you later upgrade and are using PBR you will need the Enhanced image.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: