cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR on SVI and Next Hop

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

I have a layer 3 switch (4506) connected to a WAN router.

The 4506 has several SVI's which are the gateways to different subnets (i.e. 10.208.2.x, 10.208.3.x, 10.208.4.x, etc.).

After creating a route-map, do I apply it to the incoming physical port on that 4506 or do I apply it to the SVI for that subnet?

Second, does my next hop have to be an interface (ip address) on the same 4506 or could it be on the WAN router?

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

yes. you apply it to the SVI interface.

set ip next-hop {ip-address [...ip-address] }

Syntax Description

ip-address

IP address of the next hop to which packets are output. It must be the address of an adjacent router.

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

the ip policy command has to be applied on SVI(s) interfaces

>> Second, does my next hop have to be an interface (ip address) on the same 4506 or could it be on the WAN router?

the IP next-hop has to be an IP address of ANOTHER box, the WAN router or other device to which you want to direct traffic

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

yes. you apply it to the SVI interface.

set ip next-hop {ip-address [...ip-address] }

Syntax Description

ip-address

IP address of the next hop to which packets are output. It must be the address of an adjacent router.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Yes you can apply check out the below link hope that helps out your query !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swiprout.html#wp1052491

Regards

Ganesh.H

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

the ip policy command has to be applied on SVI(s) interfaces

>> Second, does my next hop have to be an interface (ip address) on the same 4506 or could it be on the WAN router?

the IP next-hop has to be an IP address of ANOTHER box, the WAN router or other device to which you want to direct traffic

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card