Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR weird behaviour

alk1000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We're trying to re-direct traffic between 2 subnets to a portchannel interface. The configuration is straight forward, 2 physical layer 3 interfaces combined a layer 3 portchannel on a 6509E. refer to the attachment.

We tested it using traceroute, traffic is being matched by the route-map but it's not sent to the right next hop -172.16.0.161! Any clues?

Cheers,

Daniel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Daniel,

in your PBR route-map you have used:

ip default next-hop 172.16.0.161

you should have used

set ip next-hop 172.16.0.161

otherwise normal routing table is used first when the default option is inserted.

if you want traffic to be redirected when next-hop is available you need to use set ip next-hop 172.16.0.161

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rducombl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI daniel,

PBR supports vary a lot from switches to switches. What switches type and software do you have ?

Also I notice your pbr next-hop is not directly connected ? Did you try with directly connected next-hop ?

Which route do you use to reach your next-hop ?

Roland

Hi Roland,

All switches are 6509E's, running s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-33.SXI2.bin.

The next hop is directly connected. Local Po6 ip address is 172.16.0.162, and remote's ip address is 172.16.0.161.

Daniel

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Daniel,

in your PBR route-map you have used:

ip default next-hop 172.16.0.161

you should have used

set ip next-hop 172.16.0.161

otherwise normal routing table is used first when the default option is inserted.

if you want traffic to be redirected when next-hop is available you need to use set ip next-hop 172.16.0.161

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I just CAN'T believe it... I looked into my configuration tens of time to not realize of this error.

I'm totally aware of the difference between ip default next-hop and ip next-hop but I never saw it!!

Thanks for your detailed eye ;)

Daniel

Ps: will modify the config, test it and let you know in case it didn't work; though I don't believe it would be the case.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card