Helpful
Replies

PCMCIA Flash Question

cventicinque
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

According to this page...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a00800a7515.shtml

the flash on a 1600 series router is PCMCIA. I was curious, can you just put that flash in a laptops PCMCIA port and write IOS files to it and the slap it into the router?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

thkoo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I try it before for my XP NB,it need to install the PCMCIA driver,but I haven't it.

My experiece use tftp to download the IOS from router to your laptops.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

AFAIK, Cisco routers has 3 types of Filesystems (A,B and C), and i don't think that they are compatible with the laptop, accordingly i don't think that this can be done, i've tried this once and it didn't work out.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

albert.remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Old PCMCIA cards usually those that are 24mb below would require an emulator before it can be read on a laptop. As for the new ones which are termed as ATA PCMCIA (usually 48mb up), these can be inserted and read on the laptop and yes you can put IOS on them. The trick is that you should format these PCMCIA on the routers and not on the laptop for it to be read again on the router. (Note that these flash cards formatted on one type of router can not be used on another type). The same goes for compact flash memories using compact flash readers connected to your laptops using USB. Cool isn't it. I'm not sure if doing these could be recommended but I have done it a lot of times and it worked. Especially now that some TFTP servers could not transfer large files. ?

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Albert

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card