Views
Helpful
Replies

PIM-SM neighbor go down and not coming up

alex-shpil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 ASR routers running PIM-SM between them on several sub interfaces.

PIM hello interval configured for 200ms.

Sometimes PIM neighbors between ASR routers going down.

Reboot for each router not resolving the problem.

Deleting  ip pim sparse-mode and configuring it again on one of the ASR routers resolves the problem.

I didn't find any related bug.

The version is asr1000rp1-adventerprisek9.03.06.01.S.152-2.S1.bin

Anyone has an idea ?

6 Replies 6

Hello Alex,

I don't know how much multicast traffic is sent across your network, but by default, the mroutes expire after 180 seconds. You might want to use the 'ip pim-sparse sg expiry-timer' command to increase that value.

Obviously, since I have not seen the configuration of your routers, this is just a wild guess. Can you post the configs ?

Regards,

Georg

Hello Alex

I had similar issues with PIM in combination with BFD. Do you use BFD?

Regards

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Yes I'm using BFD.

How did you resolve it ? Or just removed BFD ?

BR,

I had to adjust the BFD timers - if they are to aggressiv PIM flaps. And  also have a look at the BFD configuration for subinterfaces, there is a  command like "bfd optimize subinterface" which is also a good thing to enable (check out the config guide for detail explanation)

HTH

But in my case the PIM not flaps.

It goes down and not coming up until I disable and enable it.

Yes, but it's something like flapping ;-)

I would suggest the following action plan: Disable BFD on one of your PIM-links. If your PIM-neighborship remains up, there is somenting wrong with BFD. If it goes still down, the issue is something else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card