Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping response.......

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

Recently I observed one wiered ping response in my LAN. When I ping one of my local DNS server from my laptop I get a latency of 12 - 15 ms and to my surprise this response is approximately 12ms and 1ms alternatively. When I ping this server from one of my local cisco switches I get pretty fine results of <2ms average latency. If you have faced this thing and know the reason kindly let me know..... I'm getting this <12-15ms latency on approx every network resource like printer, other laptop etc. When I ping them through switch they respond with <2ms latency.

Thanks and regards,

--Gaurav

4 Replies 4

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Friends.. I was just checking on google and found that Symentec Network threat protection could be the culprit here... What are your views about it? But still I am unable to understand teh reason why the latency is 1ms and 16ms alternatively.... Still searching!!

hi

this is depending on how your network is setup. If you have more devices between your PC and DNS server, the more delay adds up into the time to responce among the devices. this could answer why your swich replied faster than your pc, because of switch and the server is directly connected for example. Besides that your pc and the DNS servers might have security software installed to analyze incoming traffic as well as DNS inquiries from outside/inside network.

the most concerned usual case is the intermittent issues or packet drop. in that manner, you wanna look further on the routing&switching, physical problem or the utilization of the network or the DNS server itself.

my two cents worth

Yes.. I also think that teh problem is most likely because of security softwares.

One more question: If I ping a server on IP (not hostname), will this request query the DNS?

Thanks and regards,

--Gaurav

If I ping a server on IP (not hostname), will this request query the DNS?

No it doesn't.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card