cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

point-to-multipoint metro dilema

dragec
Level 1
Level 1

Righ now I have three big locations connected with point-to-point ATM PVC's, each location is connected to other two, sort of triangle. I have an IP based network, with iptel, qos and everything. Because of need for higher speed my provider is offering me metro point-to-multipoint network instead of ATM triangle. I am woried about qos and congestion in that case. Let's say that each location has 10M connection onto metro network. If two locations generate 6M traffic toward third location, there will be congestion somewhere in metro cloud. I did some research in direction of controlling oubound traffic in locations and so far I have

- build tunnels between locations, and emulate pvc's between locations

- using rate-limit in outbound direction with access list as criteria

Is there any other option? Do you have some advise for me?

thanks

PS: provider also has point-to-point metro service in wich it creates virtual pvc's, but this is much more expensive

2 Replies 2

dragec
Level 1
Level 1

:-)) silence? Nobody has nothing for me?

LA-Engineer
Level 1
Level 1

I've had some success doing exactly that - build tunnels between locations and set QoS on each tunnel.

However, my site has a central datacenter which has much higher bandwidth than spoke sites.  And, the spoke sites hard ever send that much traffic out to be a problem.  Most of the traffic flows from the DC to the spoke sites.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card