cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-based and MAC-based DHCP for Cisco 2960 & 3560

omar.robles
Level 1
Level 1

I want to implement port-based and MAC-based in these two switches: 2960 & 3560 (both of them have this IOS version: 12.2(55)SE1). And I haven't found a way to implement both of them at the same time. This is what I got:

ip dhcp use subscriber-id client-id

ip dhcp subscriber-id interface-name

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.0 192.168.0.2

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.0.251 192.168.0.255

!

ip dhcp pool Test_Pool

network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.0.2

option 150 ip 192.168.0.1

lease 7

address 192.168.0.250 client-id "Fa0/4" ascii

address 192.168.0.4 client-id "Fa0/3" ascii

address 192.168.0.7 hardware-address 12ae.1daf.5860

With this configuration I can use port-based, but not MAC based.

If I remove the first two lines and change the last line for this one:

address 192.168.0.7 client-id 0112.ae1d.af58.60

Then, the computer with that MAC address got the correct IP, but then the port-based doesn't work.

Also, I got this line in the interface what I want to use MAC-based: 

ip dhcp server use subscriber-id client-id

Please, if you guys know what to do let me know. I've tried a lot of things, and nothing is working.

3 Replies 3

omar.robles
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone? any clue?

Hi Omar,

I've got a similar problem so I associate my question to your thread.

First, refferring to your question, what should happen if host with MAC=12ae.1daf.5860 is connected to Fa0/4?

In this case switch doesn't know which address assign to client unless switch has some kind of default priority.

My problem is somehow similar.

I want to have Port-Based feature configured on some ports only.

But no  matter what commands I try. It seems that this can only be done for all  ports or for none.

Even though CISCO manual seems to indicate there's  both global and per-port command to enable that. Here are relevant commands from CISCO manual:

• ip dhcp use subscriber-id client-id
    (this configures the DHCP server to globally use the subscriber ID as the client ID on all incoming DHCP messages)

• interface FastEthernet0/1
  • ip dhcp server use subscriber-id
    client-id

(Optional: Configures the     DHCP server to use the subscriber ID     as the client ID on all incoming DHCP    messages on the interface)

If I configure only per-interface it appears there's no  effect at all.

If I configure globally and per interface, switch behaves  as if all ports were configured to use that feature.

What's the issue?

Thank you.

Hi Alberto,

If I plugged in the host with that MAC into port F0/4 it will automatically gets the 192.168.0.250 address.

Looks like the problem is this command: ip dhcp server use subscriber-id client-id

Doesn't have any effect in the interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card