Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

port channel and portfast

I need to connect a Netscalar Load Balancer to a Cisco 6500 switch via two ethernet (100Mbps/1Gbps) between them. I will be configuring the two uplink ports using set port channel command on the Cisco side. Due to the load balancer, I also have to configure the two uplink ports with portfast enabled.

Wanted to know if this will cause any loop between the two switches? There are other switch-load balancer connections already configured where both port channel (etherchannel) and portfast are enabled between two uplink ports. But I was not involved when the configuration was made. Please advise. Also, should I configure port channel first, and then enable portfast, or it does not matter in what order I enable the two changes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: port channel and portfast

Hi Friend,

AFAIK it is good to configure port channel first and make them work as a single logical bundle interface so that a single STP instance will run for that bundled interface.

Once its a single bundle interface then you can enable Spanning Tree PORTFAST and it will work fine because after port channel its a single logical interface and one spanning tree instance will work for the same.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: port channel and portfast

Hi Friend,

AFAIK it is good to configure port channel first and make them work as a single logical bundle interface so that a single STP instance will run for that bundled interface.

Once its a single bundle interface then you can enable Spanning Tree PORTFAST and it will work fine because after port channel its a single logical interface and one spanning tree instance will work for the same.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content