Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Channel Issue on Cisco 2960s-24ts

samir manir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Last week at a customer site we installed a 2nd 2960s 24 port switch to form a stack using flexstack cables, and the switch stack is working as expected as I can see a master switch and 2nd switch as a member.

For redundancy / resilience we decided to use port 24 on each switch over copper for trunk uplinks to our core switch. The issue that we're having is I can't ping the switch management address. I can however see the address in the arp table and the edge switch is visible when I run show cdp nei. As a work around I've shutdown one of the ports to the downlink from core to edge in order to ping the management address of the switch which is in vlan 1. I'd like to get the port-channel working on both sides for resilience.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED...

Core switch is a WS-C3750G-24TS-1U running software version  C3750 Boot Loader (C3750-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(25r)SEE4, C3750 Software (C3750-IPBASE-M)

Edge switch is a WS-C2960S-24TS-L running software version C2960S Boot Loader (C2960S-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(53r)SE,C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M)

The config on the edge switch which goes to the core is :

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/24
 description *****
 switchport mode trunk
 channel-group 6 mode on
end

interface GigabitEthernet2/0/24
 description *****
 switchport mode trunk
 channel-group 6 mode on
end

interface Port-channel6
 description ******
 switchport mode trunk
end

The config on the downlink ports from the core to the edge:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/20
 description Edge
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
 channel-group 20 mode on
end

interface GigabitEthernet2/0/20
 description Edge
 switchport mode trunk
 shutdown
 channel-group 20 mode on
end

interface Port-channel20
 description Edge
 switchport mode trunk
end

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In switch to switch channels I would use LACP or PAGP before hardcoding the channels on .  Try one of those alternatives . 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jacob Berger
Level 2
Level 2

when using channel-group # on mode you must make sure the ports are on same duplex and speed setting

what happens when you use active mode?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In switch to switch channels I would use LACP or PAGP before hardcoding the channels on .  Try one of those alternatives . 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card